Be Careful of These Property Issues in Pre-Loved Homes

Exterior of house

Old homes have a certain rustic charm. Well-made houses, in particular, will have a beautiful architecture that continues to shine despite the passage of time. That’s why some homeowners prefer purchasing pre-owned homes instead of building their own.

Getting an old home has some risks, however. If they weren’t cared for by the previous owners, various issues could arise. Be careful of these issues when it comes to owning and maintaining an old home.

Pest Infestation

Old homes would have a high chance of being a home for household pests, especially if it weren’t cleaned properly by the prior homeowners. While you can have a home inspector take a look at your future home, most only observe the outside of elements instead of thoroughly checking.

Termites or carpenter ants are the most common. They will burrow into your home’s foundations, weakening it immensely. On the other hand, beetles can live inside closets and carpets, while a wasp or bee nest, if not out in the open, might be inside your walls.

If you see any signs of pests inside your home, make sure to call an exterminator from Sandy or other nearby areas. They can remove the pests quickly with their expertise. In addition, they can advise you on what to do to keep pests out of your home.

Water Damage

An old home can suffer from water damage due to natural disasters and the changing of the seasons. Earthquakes can damage water pipes. During winter, pipes can freeze and have a chance of bursting due to the expanded frozen water.

Leaky pipes can cause various health risks if neglected. It will create standing waterone of the best friends of mold and mildew. It will also attract mosquitoes as most species need water to multiply. Foreign elements can contaminate your drinking water.

If you see any unexplainable pools of water, identify the source and repair it immediately. There are other possible causes besides leaky pipes. It can be due to a damaged roof. Clogged up gutters are also another culprit.


Mold is likely to develop in an old house’s damp areas, such as the cellars or basements. Make sure to remove it immediately once you see it. It is a major health risk, especially for people who have respiratory problems.

It irritates the eyes, nose, and throat. If you’re allergic to mold, your skin will feel constantly itchy. Sensitive people can experience a severe allergic reaction. Prolonged exposure to mold will cause shortness of breath and other breathing problems for the household.

When checking your home for mold, be on the lookout for these signs. Areas with mold will have a particular musty smell, although that may not apply to some species. Squishy areas under the floors and walls can also be signs of mold.

Faulty Electrical Wiring

Electrician fixing electrical wiring

An old home’s wiring system can be outdated or damaged throughout the years. This can lead to inefficient energy usage and higher energy bills. In the worst cases, it can be a dangerous fire hazard for your home. 

Inspect your home for any signs of faulty wiring. The best place to start is your control panel as the central hub of your circuitry. Ensure that there is no damage to the wire’s insulation. Also, the wires should be arranged neatly to prevent overheating.

Of course, it isn’t to say that old homes are always inadvisable for purchase. You just need a keen eye and a little bit of elbow grease to restore it to its formerly great state.

Share this post:
Scroll to Top